Have you ever had a day where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong? I call those days Tuesdays because my bad day always seems to happen on a Tuesday. I remember one particular Tuesday when I had to be in three mug, and the dishwasher quit. Now those are minor things in the big scheme of things, but to me they made me feel overwhelmed especially when I saw a sink full of dishes to top it off.
The coffee could be cleaned up, the mug could be replaced, and the dishwasher could be fixed. But on that day those things seemed like things were just too much for me to handle. I ran from meeting to meeting hearing the news about my children.
In the one meeting, we talked about regression and how my daughter was losing skills. I felt another rock hit the burden pile for the day. Then in another meeting, we talked about how my teenage son didn’t want to go to school for whatever reason and how we needed to add behavior coaches to our team…another rock to carry. The last meeting was good news and I was thankful for that because I didn’t think I could take any more bad news for the day. Well that wasn’t the end of the day because during dinner I decided to put zucchini peels down the garbage disposal and it got clogged. You can guess it another rock added to the pile.
Click To Tweet
1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
The great thing about when we feel overwhelmed we have someone we can run to. I can go to the Lord and lay those rocks (everything that happened that day) at His feet. The great thing about our amazing God is He cares about spilled coffee, broken mugs, and my overwhelmed heart from hearing all the news of the day. He knew what I would face that day before I faced it. I’m thankful that I can run to him anytime I need him and He’s always there.
Now the great thing about the day, my son Liam helped fix the garbage disposal. My daughter eventually gained back the skills that she lost. The behavior coaches were a great addition to our team. And the coffee well my husband brought me Starbucks to replace my coffee that had spilled.
It’s funny because even in those little things God knows what He’s doing. I love that the Lord plans and knows every detail of our lives. He knows when you are overwhelmed, frightened, facing a difficult challenge. The great thing is He’s given you the tools for the journey.
What do you do when you feel overwhelmed or you’ve had a Tuesday as I call it?
- Stop and Pray – Pour your heart out to the Lord.
I like to say Father, you see how this day is going I commit this day to you. Whatever you have me to do today I will do. Whatever you what me to speak, I will speak, whatever you want me to accomplish, I will. Father this day is yours. Use it for your glory. Bless those around me that I love and hold dear.
Thank you Jesus, Amen
- Write down your blessings – I will sit down and count the things going well. You’ll have more than you think. This list looks like I have food, I have a bed to sleep in, a roof over my head, the list goes on an on.
- Take a Time out – I like to listen to music, make a card, anything to get my mind off of what’s going on. Even if this is just a few minutes. Take a breath and take care of you.
- Break it down and make it simpler – Make a list of what can you fix, what can you get help with, what is out of your control. Then make a plan.
- Talk it out with a friend – Sometimes all you need is a good cry and good friend to help you get a better perspective of what’s going on. This has helped me many times as my friends have insight and give me wisdom into how I can better handle things.
I hope this has helped you. Remember when you feel overwhelmed and the dishwasher breaks, the dryer isn’t working, and life just seems like it’s too much Jesus is there for you. He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Have a blessed day!!